Thursday, September 3, 2020

Hello Goodbye

Today’s post is a little different. There are no film photographs or prints to share, and I am not reviewing a camera. Instead, I am sharing with you some news that has been ongoing since mid-July and has only now come into complete fruition, more of less.

I’m retired. 

That’s right. Retired. Retired from being a public school music teacher. Retired from my career, the only career I have ever known. And not just me, either. My wife, Debbie, a career elementary school teacher retired with me. We always have enjoyed taking our journeys together, and this is the start of a big one, one we have been looking forward to for quite some time. One that wasn’t supposed to start for another two years. But scratch that. It’s on.

We made our decision suddenly but certainly while in our VW Rabbit on the way back from our summer trip to the western US to visit both our daughters. We like to take backroads and stay off the interstate when possible, and we happened to be on a very backroad winding our way around Missouri cornfields at the very moment when our decision was made. The day was sunny, and the corn was tall. Debbie was driving, and I was in the middle of a Google meet with my principal. When he announced that a change in our reopening plans had been made, we looked at each other and made our minds up. No turning back from then on.

No doubt you likely are thinking that our decision to retire was brought about my COVID-19, and you are not wrong. However, during the month and a half since that day, we both have come to realize that this choice was the right choice at the right time - pandemic or not. Something inside had been telling me that the end was near for a year already. I’m fascinated by baseball players (I love baseball) who either because of their love of the game or because of the money keep on playing past their time of effectiveness. Sometimes it works out and magic happens. Other times it’s painful. I felt like my “game” was in pretty good shape still, but the daily pressure to be creative (teaching the same standards year after year but always having to have new lessons, songs, games, dances, etc.) was beginning to take its toll on my central nervous system. Certainly our change in lifestyle from urban house owners to downtown condo dwellers had something to do with it, as well. At any rate, it’s time for the next chapter of my life:  Chapter Three.

2004:  Hello

I call it Chapter Three, because I think of my life so far as being divided into two periods. The first was my youth all the way to the conclusion of my college education. The second was my teaching career. Both were periods of generally routine and predictability. Not boring, mind you. My wife and I love our live together as we always have, and we could not be more proud of two daughters we raised. It was a blast, but they are grown now. Changes come and life goes on. Being parents was great. Being empty nesters was great, too. Same thing with college. I loved being a college student, but I also loved being a professional music educator. Each has its season. and now the season has changed again. Now, I am turning the page and starting Chapter Three. To quote Elvis Costello, “Everyday I write the book.” I’ll write it as I go.

2020:  Goodbye

I actually don’t like the word “retirement.” It calls to my mind images of being in a rocking chair taking it easy. That won’t be me, God willing. I’ve got lots to do. Yes, the first couple of weeks have been an adjustment, and we have enjoyed the constant thought that we are not tied down to a routine. But we have plans together for travel, learning, and service. And in all of that, I will make more of my own music than I have been able to do for some time. Of course, I will shoot lots of film, develop it, and make lots of prints. And I plan to write a lot for this blog and for others. I still love to do what I did as a profession educator, and that is sharing what I have learned. And yes, there will be more Uncle Jonesy’s Cameras podcasts. Thank you for your patience. Stay tuned.


5 comments:

  1. Very well said cuz. I stay plenty busy in my "retirement". Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on starting the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy retirement Doctor Lane! You totally deserve it! All the hard work has paid off. You definitely made plenty of impressions on many young lives in your years, mine being one of them. Thank you for teaching me all about the love of music. I pray that you and Debbie enjoy what God has in store for you and may you be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Katie! Always glad to hear from my students!

    ReplyDelete