Thursday, July 16, 2020

Reports From the Road #7: Suitcase Full of Memories




Our long drive began yesterday morning in Pittsburg, Kansas, and it. ended as we turned into our designated parking spot at our condo building in downtown Chattanooga. And with that, our Summer 2020 vacation adventure also came to an end. It had been a lovely day driving the backroads of Kansas, Missouri, and western Tennessee, winding around farm fields on roads named M, B, EE, and J, being up close and personal with golden fields of corn, wheat, and soybean, and truly, truly feel that we were seeing America in a way that can only be done by driving the backroads. What a magnificent way to end a vacation.


We are bringing a suitcase full of memories home with us, and Debbie and I talked about an relive many of them during our drive home. We got to spend time with both of our daughters and sons-in-law, play with our granddog, play games, hike amazing trails, eat and drink together in memorable settings, paddle board, enjoy live music, and laugh together endlessly.  Because they live so far away, these moments with family are more precious than gold.

We unloaded the car and got everything on the elevator in one trip, brought it all into our condo and began unpacking. I found the rolls of film I had shot and put them in the refrigerator. Both cameras still have rolls in them as well. I will develop the black and white film right away. The Ektachrome color slide film will go to a lab (The Darkroom). Or maybe not. I’m considering ordering an E-6 developing kit and doing it myself. In addition to the two rolls of Ektachrome I shot on the trip, I had another exposed roll plus two fresh roll. That’s five rolls of Ektachrome altogether, and I could really save some money by doing it myself. I’ve done E-6 before; it’s really not any more difficult than doing C-41 for color negative film, which I do all the time.



I hope you have enjoyed reading these Reports From the Road. I certainly enjoyed writing them, as the process of writing them helped to sharpen the experiences of our trip in my mind and heart. And yes, I will share the photographs when I have those finished as well.

Thank you for coming along for the ride.

Kevin


No comments:

Post a Comment