Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Uncle Jonesy's Cameras Podcast #38: Thankful for Polaroids!

Show #39 is live, and I predict that it will be an instant success! Ok, I know that sounded boastful, but what I am really talking about is instant photography in general and vintage Polaroid cameras specifically. I think that instant photography is perfect for this time of year with family gatherings like the one I had on Thanksgiving Day, and my Polaroid SX-70 SONAR One Step camera and Polatronic flash unit from 1978 did not let me down. I shot a pack of Polaroid SX-70 color film, and every shot was at least a keeper, with several being really good. So, in today's show I share some tips on how to increase your success rate when using vintage Polaroid camera for your holiday gatherings.

Polaroid film can be found at several big box and online stores, but you can order it directly from polaroid here.

Learn more about the Polaroid SLR 680 SE here.

Neutral density filters that will allow you to shoot 600 film in an SX-70 camera can be found here.

Shutter Brother Kelley made this Thanksgiving Day keepsake.

When looking for the Polatronic flash, make sure the base plate 
and bracket are included.

The shot on the left of Debbie and me is perfect, but the photo of Debbie and  Kelley's dog, Rosie,
on the right could have used a little less exposure because of the reflectivity of Rosie's coat.

Like many of you, I try to have a camera with me everywhere I go. Of course, my iPhone is always with me, but I also like to bring a film camera or (in some rare instances) a digital camera with me whenever I go out. You never know when or where something memorable of even amazing will will happen.

For example, a week and a half ago, my wife, Debbie, and I went on a hike on a nearby nature trail along with our youngest daughter, Amber, and her boyfriend, Matthew, for the purpose of making some photographs to be used in Christmas cards. I brought my digital Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 camera, While I did get some nice shots of Amber, Matthew, and their dog, Coconut, I also got to witness something very special. Find out what in the show!

Matthew, Amber, and Coconut, moments before . . . 

Back in July in show #34 I shared with you the story of how I acquired a Leica iiia, which is a classic 35mm thread mount rangefinder camera very similar to one I owned back in the early 1990's before is was stolen. One roll of film was all it took for me to find that the camera needed service, so I did some research and sent the camera to Youxin Ye. Four months later, I have a functionally new Leica camera, and boy, am I excited! Listen to my update in the show.

I can't wait to share with you the results of the first roll from 
this newly-serviced Leica iiia!

We are now less than two weeks away from our 2021 Photowalk with Wayne Setser, which is being presented by Uncle Jonesy's Cameras and Safelight District Community Darkroom. If you live anywhere near southeastern Tennessee, I highly recommend that you consider participating. It's being held on Saturday, December 11, beginning a 9:00 am EST at the Laurel Snow State Natural Area near Dayton, Tennessee. Laurel Snow is one of Wayne's favorite places to shoot, and he will share lots of tips and tricks for all formats. The photowalk itself is free, and afterwards we are gathering at Monkeytown Brewing in Dayton for lunch and conversation. Photography and fun - what more could you ask for! Click here and let us know you are coming.

That's it for this week. We'd love to hear from you, so email us with a written message or a voice memo to unclejonesyscameras@gmail.com. Also, check out our Instagram and Facebook pages. 

Happy Shooting!

Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment