Friday, March 12, 2021

An Anniversary of Sorts

A year ago today, March 12, my wife, Debbie and I woke up at 5:15 am, performed our normal morning routine, and drove to our respective elementary schools for another day of working with our students. Although I did not know it at the time, it would be the last day I would ever see my students as their music teacher in my classroom. 

That day a year ago (a Thursday) was not a normal day, as we knew something was up. The rumors about school being cancelled for a few weeks had been flying for a couple of days, even though our superintendent sent out a message to employees stating emphatically that the rumors were "not true." Moments after students were dismissed to go home at the end of the school day, however, another message came declaring that schools were to be closed until after spring break. So much for rumors.

At TMR with Ben Blackwell and Jack White
The last job-related task I did that day was to lead a rehearsal of my beloved after school chorus, the Woodstation Singers. I love all my students, but my Singers are a special group of talented, intelligent, artistic, music-loving kids that make being a music teacher seem like working as a taste tester at the Hershey's chocolate factory. We have done some amazing things together over the years.
TMR 447:  Our 2nd release
We recorded two seven inch records for Jack White's Third Man Records, including a cover of one of his most well known songs, "We're Going to Be Friends." When Third Man published a book based on that song, our recording was included with every copy as a digital download, and as a result, the Woodstation Singers have been heard all over the world. We even got to perform at book release events at TMR in Nashville and at Barnes and Nobles in Chattanooga and appear on television. Furthermore, my Singers have premiered two original musicals that I composed (and of which I am quite proud.) At that last rehearsal, we worked on our school talent show music, which was going to be a all out crazy performance of two Queen songs ("Radio Gaga" and "We Are the Champions") with costumes and choreography based on Queen's legendary performance at Live Aid in 1985. The Singers fell in love with "Radio Gaga" (imagine 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade boys and girls going up and down the hall singing, "All we hear is radio gaga - radio goo - radio blah blah; Radio, what's new? Someone still loves you!")
At TMR promoting the "Friends" book

When the last melodies were sung that day, I said my usual goodbyes to each student and tried to comfort their worries about the future. However, a few days later the word came down that schools would remain closed for the rest of the term. I taught daily video music lessons throughout the spring and held video chats with my Singers twice a week. We tried singing together once, but sound delay issues made that impossible. So, we simply talked to each other and shared how we were dealing with quarantine. On what was to be the last day of the term, I went back to the school to help as students turned in their computers in "drive-by" fashion." I wore a mask, of course, so I hope they knew I was there.

I could not have known that my music teaching career would end that day. Certainly, I had been thinking of retirement and was actually planning to do so after two more years. I knew time was catching up with me like an old ballplayer who, after swinging and missing a 98 mph heater for strike three, walks back to the bench knowing that he can't catch up to the fastball anymore, or a pitcher who would never argue with an umpire in his prime but now barks angrily at a missed call on a pitch, not because it actually was in the strike zone but because his arm hurts so bad that he doesn't know if he can even throw another pitch. I once heard David Letterman talk about his retirement, saying that he worked hard at something for most of his life, but he wanted to save some time to do something else.

Debbie and I made the decision to retire in July when our district reversed course and decided to open schools fully for the 2020-21 term. Looking back, I am thankful for the district's decision, because time is precious and two years is even more precious at my age. Retiring was (and remains) the right call. Of course I miss my students and all the magical musical moments we made together, but I have the memories and the satisfaction that their lives are better because of music, just like mine is.

And I'm not through with teaching, either. I joined the team at Safelight District Community Darkroom as an educator, and I am in charge of developing and teaching classes and workshops related to film photography. We have big plans when the pandemic is over, and I even hope to be hosting a "film camp" where I will be teaching children how to shoot film!

That Letterman quote, "Save some time to do something else," rings in my head a lot still. The past 365 days have gone by faster than any year of my life, and I expect time only to go by faster and faster each succeeding year. Each day is a gift waiting to be opened, enjoyed, made use of, and be thankful for. And while you are at it, load that camera up with some film and capture some memories. 

Happy Shooting!

No comments:

Post a Comment