Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Pushing It in Color: Part Two

In part one of this post, I discussed how I intended to push Kodak ColorPlus 200 two stops to EI800, so that I could take make photos in the classrooms of the school where I teach without using flash. As one can imagine, using a flash unit in a classroom with a teacher working hard to keep the focus of a roomful of students can present a problem. The first step was to measure the available light in the classrooms. Using a handheld incident light meter (a light meter that measures the amount of light falling on the subject, rather than the amount of light the subject is reflecting back to the camera), I was able to determine my exposure and simply focus and shoot without causing too much of a distraction.

I developed the negatives using the Unicolor C-41 kit, following the instructions for a two-stop push by extending developing time by 1.5. When the negatives came out of the tank, I could see distinct images that looked quite normal, and breathed a sigh of relief. After scanning, I think I can call this experiment a success. nearly all of the photographs were useable with little or no post processing. I also was surprised that there were no noticeable color shifts. I think the reason for this was that our classrooms are extremely well-lit by fluorescent lights, and the color balance of fluorescent lighting is closer to daylight than incandescent lighting, which would have shifted the colors to the warm side. If I were to try this technique at home, I probably would have to use some software color correcting, which (being colorblind, I do not feel confident doing. 

I'd love to share with you all of the photos, but since they involve children who are students, I can only share a few that don't show their faces. The ones I can't post are my favorites, as they are candid looks at our students and teachers hard at work. Nearly all of them will be published in our yearbook.

I definitely will shoot this way again. However, next time I will try an SLR camera so I can use a longer lens. This will allow me to position myself back away from the action to a place where I would be less conspicuous. But since an SLR will make more noise than the rangefinder I used this time, I will need to choose the SLR that makes the least amount of noise. Hmm. I see another experiment here. Stay tuned.





No comments:

Post a Comment