Saturday, November 17, 2018

Kelley's Christmas Present: A Mystery Camera

Today’s Post is By Kevin Lane

Because I am a public school music teacher with a holiday program to produce in addition to a full schedule of teaching, I usually get behind in my Christmas shopping. However, I’m happy to say that I have already bought a few gifts for family, and one of those is for my brother, podcast partner, and co-author of this blog, Kelley. Now, Christmas gifts are usually surprises, but it will come as no surprise to Kelley that he is getting a camera for Christmas. He really likes cameras. A lot.

Of course, Kelley doesn’t really need another camera (neither do I, but . . .). His collection is growing constantly, and he owns some really nice ones at that. But as he has written in this blog, Kelley really hates to see a camera just sitting there on some antique or thrift store shelf when it could be doing what it is supposed to be doing. If the price is right, there is a good chance that he will “rescue” it. Although he has favorites, he actually shoots many of the cameras he owns. So, any camera that I wold give to Kelley for a Christmas gift would have to be one he could actually use.

Recently, as my wife, Debbie, and I were wondering around an area antique store, I spotted just such a camera, a camera I had never actually seen before. I picked it up and examined it carefully. It had good batteries in it and seemed to work as it should. Then, I got out my iPhone and began to search for information on the camera. I found a very positive review of it that especially noted the quality of the lens. It also noted that, because the lens could take a filter, it had become the reviewer's go-to black and white camera. Finally, I checked the price tag, and it was very affordable, unlike most antique store cameras. Decision made:  Merry Christmas, Kelley!

Shooting a test roll of film seemed like a good idea for this gift camera, so I loaded it with a fresh roll of Kodak Tri-X 400 and set out for nearby downtown Ringgold, Georgia. It was late afternoon, and the light was good. I tried to practice my skills of “finding things to shoot when there isn’t anything to shoot” and looked for patterns, stories, ironies, and anything that thought might be photo worthy. I am trying to learn how to “free my mind” and let things catch my eye. Sometimes I see something and say to myself, “No one else may appreciate this, but I do.” Click.

The mystery camera also accompanied me on a trip to Elijay, Georgia, a drive through Lookout Mountain’s McClemore's Cove, and a walk on the “industrial wastes” section of Chattanooga's Tennessee Riverwalk. After shooting the last frame on the roll, I processed the film using D-76 1:1, waiting for the negatives to dry, and scanned them. Right away, I noticed more grain than I usually get with Tri-X, so maybe I did something wrong in development (reticulation due to temperature disparity between developer and stop bath and/or fixer?). However, I was quite pleased with what the mystery camera can do.

Obviously, I can’t reveal anything more about this mystery camera until after gifts have been exchanged, but I can show you some of the photos. And yes, I there will be a “reveal” in a future post.

Happy Shooting!
Pumpkins (SOLD), Ringgold, Ga. 
Gray, White, Door, Ringgold, Ga.

Open, Ringgold, Ga.

Vintage Gathering, Ringgold, Ga.

No Parking USA, Ringgold, Ga.


Antique Checkers, Elijay, Ga.

Having By A Thread, McClemore's Cove, Ga.

No comments:

Post a Comment