Sunday, June 10, 2018

Takin' It to the Streets

Back in the late 1980's I experienced my first go around with trying to become a more serious photographer and not just a snap shooter. I read every book I could get my hands on and even went to a workshop or two. One book that stood out was The Nature Photographer's Complete Guide to Professional Field Techniques by John Shaw.
Not only were Mr. Shaw's nature photographs beautiful, but also the chapter on exposure was the most understandable explanation of the sunny f16 rule that I had ever heard. I highly recommend this book if you can find it.

As much as I enjoy Mr. Shaw's book, I knew that I was not cut out to be a nature photographer, partially because I did not have the long lenses that nature photography requires, but mainly because I didn't have the emotional connection to nature that Shaw wrote was necessary. Sure, I enjoyed nature, but I wasn't interested in learning to identify species of plants or even animals. What I really got excited about was travel photography. I've always felt emotional connections to places of historical significance. And since my wife, Debbie, and I like to travel, I focused my photography on capturing significant scenes of place.

And yet, hundreds of Kodachrome slides later, I realized that my photography was mediocre at best. Why? Because I was only trying to recreate each place as others had already photographed it. Essentially, I was making snapshots of places like Mt. Rushmore, Savannah, Georgia, or most any place I visited.
Salem College, Winston-Salem, NC. One of the few photos of
I was proud in my early days of photography. 
My photographs were no different than many others of the same subject, and they probably were inferior to most. Also, I had absolutely no confidence in photographing people. In fact, I saw people as getting in the way of what I what trying to capture on film.

I am happy to report that, in my second go around with film photography, things have been very different. Perhaps it is because I am older and see the world differently; perhaps it is because of books  Vivian Maier and Robert Frank's photography. Whatever the reason, I am learning to see things that I never would have thought interesting enough to photograph before. For example, one of my favorite things to do now is simply walk down a street in a city or town with my camera ready. I look for anything that seems even remotely interesting:  signs, architecture, repeating or contrasting shapes or colors, irony,  and, yes, even people. Especially people. I am no longer afraid to capture an image of interest involving people. I've taken the approach of "shoot first and ask questions later." And it has paid off.

Please Keep Off Steps
Brooklyn, NY

Barber Shop
Brooklyn, NY
Parking Lot Pickers
Bear on the Square Festival, Dahlonega, Georgia
Oddstory Brewing
Chattanooga, Tennessee

People take out their smartphones and shoot photos of a dish of food they have just been served because they feel an emotional connection to it. I try to do the same for the small things that attract me to a place. And yes, it might even be a pint of beer.
Chattanooga Brewing
Chattanooga, Tennessee
There is beauty in the details, and these photos of mine that capture details that I found interesting give me far more enjoyment than any of my well-exposed but otherwise ordinary photos of famous places.

I am still a long way away from being the photographer I want to be someday, but this is what I have learned so far:  Don't wait until you are looking at Mt. Rushmore or the Grand Canyon. Most everyone knows what those places look like, anyway. Load your camera with film (or get your digital camera) and head for any place that you find interesting and become an observer. Take your photography to the street (whatever that means to you) and capture the people and things that most people miss. When you get your photos back, you may have lots of keepers or just a few, but it doesn't matter - keep practicing your vision and your camera craft. I remember something I read somewhere that said, "Cameras take pictures, but photographers make photographs." Keep persistently practicing your ability to see. Sooner or later, you will be making photographs that make you proud and keep you going back out for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment